Friday, July 3, 2009

hot glass...

Since I've posted about working with pmc, I thought I'd ramble a bit about making beads. The photos in this post are taken by my sister Amy, it being, as you might imagine, a little difficult to take my own during the process :).

To make beads you need: a torch, gas, glass rods, mandrels, vermiculite....this isn't intended to be a tutorial or anything, if I get you really interested, I suggest you find a class to attend :)

So....adding glass to the mandrel:


...heating the bead, to make it rounder:

...& rounder:


...adding some decoration (dots in this case, using stringer, which is a thin 'string' of glass):


...melting the dots in:


...& some more:


...checking to see if it's ready to be put into the vermiculite to cool down slowly (& looking rather serious in my stylish glasses) :


once the bead has cooled, I remove it from the mandrel, clean it & the anneal it in my kiln....& presto, beads:

2 comments:

  1. Wow that's a fascinating process. I think I would be worried that I would burn myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! i love those glasses!

    ---
    www.littlemoandfriends.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)